Being a Jamaican anime fan in the 90s was tough. To watch your favs you had to hope that your parents could afford cable and, then you would have to rely on the likes of Toonami, WB Kids and Fox Kids to air them. And if they weren't on cable, your next option would be to spend days (sometimes weeks) downloading one episode thanks to good ole dial-up internet (we didn't have that new fangle Netflix and CrunchyRoll you kids have nowadays). Thank god those days are over but, if you want to revisit some of those classics or to see what was the fuss all about (if you are millennial), then the recently announced Retro anime streaming APP RetroCrush, is for you.
An Anime streaming service is of course nothing new in this day and age as fans can stream their favourites on a device that as Netflix and Crunchyroll but RetroCrush big differentiating hook, is that the content will only be from the 70s, 80s and the 90s.
What you’ll love about RetroCrush:
• Did we mention it's free? No commitment necessary.
• New series and movies updated all the time. Just because it's retro doesn't mean we don't provide fresh content. Browse first-time English releases and revisit your childhood favorites.
• Be part of a community. We're active on all major social media platforms. Follow us for the full classic anime experience and participate in community activities.
• Curate your own watchlist. Create a free account to save the shows you want to watch later.
Check out a selection of the titles available at launch, provided by RetroCrush:
● Devil Lady (TV series, 26 episodes) - A supermodel attacked by a monster which brings her inner devil out is recruited by a secret government agency to help them fight the demonic forces that secretly threaten Japan and the world.
● Creamy Mami (TV series, 52 episodes) - In this anime classic, ordinary schoolgirl Yuu Morisawa leads a double life as the magical singer Creamy Mami.
● Magical Emi, the Magical Star (TV series, 38 episodes) - Elementary student Kozuki Mai is eager (but too young) to be a magician and perform in her family's magic act. But a magical encounter gives her the power to turn into the 18-year-old magician "Magical Emi."
● Persia, the Magical Fairy (TV series, 48 episodes) - 11-year-old Persia grows up among the animals of the Serengeti in Africa. Returning to Japan with her family, she is summoned to “Lovely Dream,” the land where dreams are born and grow, to help become its protector.
● Pastel Yumi, the Magical Idol (TV series, 25 episodes) - Gifted with a magic cane and pendant by flower fairies, schoolgirl Yumi can now summon anything she draws with the cane into reality. But her mischievous nature has a way of getting her into trouble sometimes.
● Cybersix - A genetically engineered super-soldier, one of the creations of the former Nazi Dr. Von Reichter's diabolic experiments, rebels against her creator and vow to protect the world from his evil creations.
● Cat’s Eye - The three Kisugi sisters rob art galleries as the smart and mysterious thief "Cat's Eye" in the hope that their artist father's works can give them clues about his mysterious vanishing.
● Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer - In this movie sequel to the beloved '80s anime series, teen alien Lum and her earthling friends find themselves stuck reliving the same day over and over. Directed by Mamoru Oshii (GHOST IN THE SHELL).
● Black Jack: The Movie - A genius (but unlicensed) surgeon specializes in super-powered mutant medical cases, uncovering a dark conspiracy along the way, in this movie adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's legendary manga.
● Golgo 13: The Movie - This action-packed anime tells the story of a hitman who becomes the target of American soldiers and superhuman killers after killing the son of a powerful oil tycoon.
● Arcadia of My Youth - Returning to Earth from the front lines of an interstellar war, Captain Harlock finds that his home has been occupied by an oppressive alien species, The Illumidus Empire.
● Galaxy Express 999 - The adventures of a brave young boy who travels from planet to planet in a determined quest to avenge his mother's death.
● Space Adventure Cobra - Based on Buichi Terasawa's 1978 manga Cobra, specifically on Cobra's involvement with the Royal Sisters, and his fight against Crystal Boy, which was the first major arc of the manga.
While I don't expect some of the heavy hitters like the DragonBalls and Sailor Moons of the world to show up on the app, some real gems are there. I highly recommend anyone to watch Blue Seed and the Street Fighter 2 animated movie is always a fun watch. Time will tell if this app will be able to roll with the big boys.
The RetroCrush App is out now on iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and Smart TVs. Visit www.retrocrush.tv for more information.
-YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Hey I am Marlon Mcfarlane the writer here at Blue Crescent Studio & a longtime lover of all things Animation & Gaming.